7.19.2011

Summer vacation

It's been about a week and a half since we returned from our summer vacation in Michigan, which means it is overdue we posted about it on the blog! I currently only have access to a few pictures from our time with the Wombles since Patrick is out of town with the computer and one camera that contain a lot of the photos. But I'll give you the highlights of our two weeks in the homeland, and show some of what I do have.

As always, the trip went by too fast and we felt jipped on time, but we managed to cram a lot into it: Me and a pal from high school planned an impromptu bachelorette party for one of our best friends; Patrick scheduled a bittersweet last appointment with a Doctor-turned-family-friend he had been seeing since he was in 5th grade; my family had a BBQ to celebrate a few birthdays and Independence Day; fireworks; catching up with a few friends over lunch; and that doesn't even include our time at a rental home in Traverse City!

For the 3rd year in a row, Patrick's family rented a house (different each time) in semi-Northern MI for a week to offer the space and entertainment for everyone visiting from around the globe. This year, badminton was a main feature, played at least 1-5 times per day!


Grandma took the helm at the grill- MMM! Among traditional delectables like BBQ chicken, I found out I'm a big fan of grilled turnips!

Grandpa Denny taugh John a new trick with the Redi-whip!


As you'll see from the rest of the photos, the water was integral to everybody's time at the lake house! Here, Patrick, Mark, Calum & Isaac's canoe are towing Daisy and Jackie after they underestimated how far they'd paddled and how much work it'd be to get back!

Sally enjoying a cup of coffee on a sunny morning pontoon boat ride.


Daisy waving at us from her place on the paddle board as we're swept away on the boat.

The wind is fair, captain!


Calum had loads of fun and was on his way to being a pro with the paddle boards.

I loved being on the boat, but Isaac does a much better/cuter job of showing his enthusiasm!

Aunt Jackie left the beach chair for a more scenic reading location.


Life is good!

Here was a particularly interesting site on the lake: This balloon gradually lowered its elevation, and at this point we were pretty sure it was about to crash! Everyone on the lake's gaze was locked! But the pilot was either super lucky or super precise, as he recovered his height and never touched the water (although he was just about a foot away from it).

We had an awesome time in Michigan and already miss our loved ones and look forward to our next visit! I'm going back at the end of this month just for a weekend to be the matron of honor in my long-time friend's wedding, but otherwise our return probably won't be until Christmas. In the meantime, we'll keep you updated!

5 comments:

aaa said...

Hey, didn't you take ANY photos of your family, Atalie? These are great, and it looks like everyone had fun! I can tell it was an awesome vacation and it was great to have you back in Michigan.

Atalie said...

Refer to paragraph #1, Mom- Patrick's out of town with a lot of the photos. Besides, dividing it into two blog posts is probably best anyway, since I tend to create mile-long entries already!

aaa said...

I was only teasing. I noticed that you said you only had a few pictures becaues Patrick had the computer. I was just giving you a hard time. LOL!

dad a. said...

the pilot being super lucky or super precise - here's hoping for the passanger's sake that precise is the applicable term - i, however, do rather agree with the expression that it's better to have luck than skill

sally said...

great shots At/Pat! thanks for sharing (I stole a couple for my soon to come update!) xo