12.02.2010

Interest piquers of the random sort

Patrick will probably be a little irritated at me because I'm supposed to be writing a Thanksgiving blog and posting pictures of winter scenery. But I've been wanting to do a "miscellaneous" entry for a while, and now that I've accumulated enough pictures, I decided to go for it.

The photo that sparked my desire for a random post. Our first week in town while we were still in the Holiday Inn, we saw this beauty on the road. I'm pretty sure Patrick committed the sin, "Do not covet." :) Click on the picture to get a better look at the license plate, Transformer fans.

We carried our potted plants indoors once the temperature dropped too much for their health. I knew we'd probably bring in some spiders with them, but a few other species hitched a ride too. The following morning I saw this guy half-way up the wall! (See below for height reference- it's the black spot in the upper center of the photo, near the corner of the wall.)

Rainy day on the UC-Merced campus last week produced 2 rainbows! (The second one is a little harder to see, but it's between the 2 trees on the right.)

I'd never seen a persimmon before, but they're in season at the Farmers' Market. We decided to be exotic and try one. You bite into it like an apple. Despite looking like an orange tomato, the texture is completely different. It's a bit like a waxy/gummy pear, and the flavor is sort of sugary. Not my favorite fruit by any means, but it's not too bad either.

The bathrooms on Patrick's floor at the university are covered in checkered tile. I couldn't decide if I felt smothered or if I liked it. Maybe I'm a masochist in the making.

A lot of places in the area cover piles of loose materials like gravel with tarps weighted down by tires. But the first time I saw one (and I still think so), it looked like a tarp with a contemporary polk-a-dot pattern. I thought maybe it was a farmer with style. :)

Another Farmer's Market find. A yam purchased for Thanksgiving dinner. But I realized when it was time to peel it how very much it looked like a piggy! Even one of the black holes near the "snout" looks like a beady eye. :)

Gorgeous sunset from the view of the road we take out of the college when I pick Patrick up from work.

Don't worry, Patrick, dear! That's the end of my spontaneous post. Thanksgiving/winter pics are on the docket! :)

6 comments:

Sana said...

That car and license plate are awesome! I love the piggy yam too! =) Sounds like you guys are settling in quite well and i am happy for you both.

Michael Paul said...

Those sunsets are beautiful! I first saw persimmons when I moved to Seattle, though I still haven't tried one. I've heard that they're great to bake with; and persimmon pudding is supposed to be a real Southern dish. You guys look great. I hope we can see each other sometime, while we're on the same coast.
Megan

dad a. said...

i kinda wonder about you and sandra - - regading the piggy yam - - i checked to make sure you carried in "potted plants" as compared to "pot plants" - - wonder about the plants sandra has, too.

Atalie said...

Whatever, Dad! lol. Cassandra just appreciates creative interpretation of nature. :P

Megan- there was another type of persimmon that looked slightly different at the market and I asked if that kind should be eaten like an apple too. The vendor said if you did, you'd never want to eat one again, for puckering up so bad. Apparently those ones are often used for cooking. So that's kind of interesting. As for a visit, some of our MO friends are going to be in Seattle for a conference in April. We're playing with the idea of heading up there since it would be a great opportunity to see a lot of people at once, obviously you included! Will keep you posted. :)

sally said...

Here they call them Shannon Fruit (aka permission) and I also just had my first recently and intro'd jackie last week (warm fuzzy family moment....) My friend from Sweden recommended slicing and eating like melon - but NOT eating the rind. you can obviously, but not as good. i like them, but sweet. enjoy!

Atalie said...

Hmm. Maybe I'd like them a little better if I try it like that. But it seems more like a skin than a rind. Perhaps the Shannon Fruit is a related but slightly different fruit?