6.30.2009

A little Essence of Atalie preceding the Celebration of Atalie

On the eve of my birthday, I was reminded of what the epitome of "Atalie Albin" is characterized by: clumsiness and cooking craziness. It started out with grilled cheese sandwiches. Rather than dirty a new knife, I figured I'd use the giant bread knife already on the counter to take slices of cheese off the block. And in addition to it being an over-sized utensil, I was talking on the phone (meaning I didn't have the utmost precision). So my 1.5 sandwiches were filled 1/2 a big block's worth of slices that were super thick, and it oozed all over the pan.

Later on, I baked cupcakes in ice cream cones to share the following day for my birthday treat. I got a little overzealous and put too much batter in them. They baked on top but overflowed and were soup in the middle. I hoped with cooling they might solidify, but instead they collapsed on themselves and sunk. After trashing the first dozen, I put some dishes away while I waited for take 2 to cook. In the process, a ceramic bowl toppled to the ground, made a noise that gave me a headache, and broke into pieces (we have 2 of that particular bowl, and go figure- the 1 that is chipped is not the one that broke).

The night isn't over yet though!

After pulling out a successful second batch (yay!) I decided to watch some TV while I let it cool. On way way to sit down, I trip on a cord, stub my toe (ow!) and fall forward onto the futon. After recovering, frosting the cupcakes and cleaning up, I notice there were fruit flies hovering around my vase of flowers. Those little suckers had been invading the house all week, so at that point, I had a mini fit of rage hit me and I swung at them. Did I kill my victim? No- but that doesn't mean I missed....the vase. I knocked it onto the cupboard, spilled the semi-dirty water all over my freshly cleaned cupboard, and a small chunk of glass was chipped from the upper inner edge of the vase. It was the first bouquet that vase contained since I resumed ownership of it too! (Don't tell Grandma- that was my bday present from her, and besides, my handyman has since repaired it!).

Luckily the evening wasn't a taste of the next day. Not that it was a bad night- I've had these things happen enough that I find them amusing most of the time now. But I escaped any incident on my birthday other than fun surprises and thoughtful doting. I'll tell you all about my awesome 25th anniversary on Earth in the next entry though- I've already engaged your eyes enough with my rambling! (more essence of Atalie, I suppose) :)

3 comments:

dad a. said...

i'm a little worried about your comment, "...my awesome 25th anniversary on Earth..." ,,,,, do you have annivesaries that are somewhere else? if so, where exactly would that be? ,,,,, did patrick bring a little ganja back from jamaica?

Atalie said...

oh whatever! :P

I just figured rather than say "birthday" for the whatever-th time, I'd use a different expression.

Although I bet there's been plenty of times people have seriously considered that I was under the influence of ganja or from another planet. :)

aaa said...

You worry me daughter.You would think I'd get used to it - I never do.