3.28.2009

Sin City

This past week I went to a conference in Las Vegas where I gave a presentation on my thesis topic. The presentation didn't go very well but things balanced out since I won $200 at the $.25 slots. LV is definitely a city of sin, which is oozing from every crack in the sidewalk: booze , boobs, gluttony, and money. It's a bit much if you stay past your limit, which I found out is three days for me. Despite the earnings the trip wasn't all that great (see the previous two sentences). I flew out last Saturday afternoon with my advisor, who then rented a car and drove us north of town to Overton (near Lake Meade). Sunday we went to the Valley of Fire SP, which was pretty cool (see pictures). Then we went to the conference. I had my presentation on Tuesday which I followed with winning at the slots (God's way of consoling me?). I don't mind, in all I'll be ahead $100 with what the school won't cover. Came back yesterday morning.


Valley of Fire SP (note the red rocks- hence the name and plus desert=hot as in fire)



Petroglyphs (Native American graffitti- from the looks of it they had been smoking paiute)


Near Lake Meade



The Strip




Never stay here- I'm serious, avoid this at all costs.

2 comments:

aaa said...

Glad your back home and that you came out ahead in the money department. Pretty pictures.

dad a. said...

everyone knows 'vegas is sin city; what is springfield? i thought for sure one of two things would happen --- you would have somehow been married to an elvis impersonator by an elvis impersonator --- or had to hitchhike back home wearing only a wood barrel with suspenders. also, what happens to visitors who leave springfield's bad side of town?