7.03.2008

Slackers

Wow- I knew it had been a long time since we've posted a blog, but sheesh- a month??? Yikes, we've been a bunch of slackers!

Actually, I thought about writing one a few times, since a lot has happened, but I haven't been in the mood. As some of you know, I was offered a full time job at the advertising agency I was working at during the afternoons. I told them I'd think about it as I waited for notification about a full-time university job I had interviewed for (and I thought it went quite well). To keep things brief, the university department (incorrectly) took somebody else's word that I had withdrawn my application, and didn't consider me for the job. I was really depressed, as I would much rather work at the university than at my advertising job (wierd, I know, but my advertising boss can be a bit aggravating to work for).

So in any case, I was really pathetic during the 2 weeks I finished up at the university's HR office because I wasn't looking forward to leaving. I moped around the house a lot and turned into a big pessimist. Ridiculous, yes, which is why I finally made myself separate work from anything "not work." I've only been working full time for a week now, and I'm not liking the job all that much more, but my mood has improved by forgetting about work as soon as I walk out the door.

In addition to the depression of the job stuff, Patrick and I have grown really lazy (and a bit homesick, for my part at least) since we last visited MI. We've not gone exercising and have paid little attention to chores and projects around the apartment, nor have we even gone on our weekend bike rides or visits to the park. At the beginning of this week we've started to rectify that by going out walking or jogging a couple times this week, and just washing the dishes right away after dinner.

I guess we just hit a rut for awhile, but we're getting ourselves out of it, and I'm feeling happier as a result (I think the same is true for Patrick). Hopefully we can keep up the motivation, and stop being slackers!

3 comments:

dad a. said...

thought you had nasty weather lately, too. ours has been hurricane-like. if you want some tree branches, just stop by here and pickup some.

aaa said...

I missed you this morning, so the first thing I did, bright and early at 7 AM, was get the card you sent a month ago, and opened it. What a perfect message about the rocks! At first I thought you must have custom made it since it was so fitting, but then I examined it very closely and considered your words about not needing the extra cake and ice cream when presented with a rock and determined that you actually must have found a card with that message. It seems unlikely, but it must be so. Obviously someone wrote it with me in mind and you miraculously found it. I loved it, AND I LOVED the bloody ear; I plan to save this rare offering for a piece of art. Who else would get VanGogh’s petrified, bloody ear for their birthday and find it so fascinating?! I may have to go dig the foot out of the stream to go with it. Perhaps I will be able to construct an entire rock body some day with the parts you’ve supplied - a collection you started even before meeting Patrick...your relationship was obviously providential. Of course I am aware your ROCK solid imagination does expand beyond skeletal reproductions – I also have my beautiful rose rock. Love you, and thanks for the gift.

Atalie said...

I'm glad you loved your rock mom. I'll keep an eye out for other body parts! :) We probably sound very dysfunctional! haha

Tree branches? We don't need any now, but we might have for fire this weekend camping. That would be quite the commute though! :)