7.07.2008

Sam's Throne and Hemmed-in Hollow

This being a longer weekend, thanks to 4th of July, I have been pushing Patrick to get our friends to plan a hiking/camping trip. We bought me a bunch of equipment when I got down here and haven't been able to use it yet because they were all busy with school, then hunting season foiled our plans, and then it was too cold. So I wanted to put my new things to use!

Thursday, as soon as I was done w/ work, we picked up our friends Kat and Derek, packed up our car (Doris, the Taurus), went to the grocery store and stopped for firewood, and made the couple hour drive to Arkansas. By the time we had done all that, set up our tents and a fire, cooked a very late dinner, and went out to a lookout point (Sam's Throne) over a valley and open sky to watch the lightning in the distance, it made for a very late bedtime of 3 AM.

Despite being very tired, and there being lots of rain, we had to get up early to meet our friend Luke and his girlfriend Alicia at a trail where we planned to hike. It was only 5 miles round trip, but a very steep downhill trek, which was slippery from the rain (although, luckily it had stopped). However, the rain rewarded us because at our destination (a carved out section of giant cliff called Hemmed-in Hollow) we had a beautiful waterfall, that otherwise might have been dry. After having a relaxing lunch, we made the exhausting trip back up the steep trail (my calves are soooo sore now!).


We returned to camp to make dinner, then hung out on Sam's Throne for quite a while to watch the sunset, went back again to make hot dogs and smores, and then Patrick, Kat, Derek and me decided to watch the stars back at Sam's Throne again (it's not a far walk from our campsite- 1o minutes tops). We went to bed around 1 AM, and were back up early again, but we packed up early after a gourmet meal of coffee and breakfast burritos.




The original plan had been to hike around some more, but I think everybody was worn out from the day before (and our late nights!), plus Kat broke out in poison ivy really badly on her leg. Indeed, I took a 4 hour nap when I got home, and didn't have any trouble sleeping at night later! Anyway, it was tiring, but because we had come home Saturday afternoon, it was nice to have Sunday to recooperate. And, it'll help prepare us for next weekend- more camping, and rock climbing! :D

4 comments:

idaband said...

I really like that last photo of Pat and you.

Way to invite MI people with you :p

I have quite the 4th story for you though. Check out http://bigredsplace.com for that story.

dad a. said...

so glad someone got the fire going... last trip, atalie says, "patrick, these matches are not working.".. he replies, "i don't know why not; i tried each of them before we left."

aaa said...

These are really great pictures. The spot where you stayed looks so beautiful and peaceful that it almost make me wish I had gone hiking and camping with you....I said "Almost."

I have been getting my own form of exercise in the back yard. Hauling bricks, stones, dirt, roots, lumber, etc. I just seem to move every thing from one side of the yard to the other every year! It is beginning to be a joke with my friends. But I do actually accomplish something - and when I know what it is, I'll tell you.

Glad you are back on track with the blog. I was missing your updates for awhile. I always seem to learn something that we didn't discuss on the phone, and the photos are exceptionally nice to see. Love you both.

Atalie said...

haha, that was a cute joke :)

actually, it was Patrick and Alicia who got the fire started with our wet wood on Friday night, and it took a while!

i'm glad you liked the photos- we'll try to get more good ones to keep posting! and i'm sure i'll be seeing some of the backyard in return!