7.14.2008

Horseshoe Canyon

As I mentioned in last week's blog, we went rock climbing! I've tried a rock wall before, but that was about 6 years or so ago, and as I found out this weekend, real rock is a bit different. It was the first time our friends Kat and Marissa, and myself, had ever tried real rock before, and it was tough!

Two of our friends, Derek and Erin, are experienced rock climbers, so Derek would climb the rock and secure clips and the rope while Erin belayed for him, then the rest of us would take a turn up. They had a guide book they used to pick certain rock routes, but they said the first rock was harder, in their opinion, than the book rated it. I suppose Kat and I did ok by getting 2/3 up that one, and Marissa got up 2/3 another wall rated the same level of difficulty, but Kat and I were a bit discouraged despite the fact it was our first time.

Patrick, I found out though, is quite good, for not having gone in forever. (He went once last year, but other than that it's been 6 years or more since he last had done it.) While I was working on my wall, he went up and down another, and by the time I had gotten out of my harness and shoes, he was already up the wall I had just abandoned!

Luckily for me, Kat, and Marissa, the next rock route Derek and Erin picked was an easy one (by most standards of course- still not for me!) I think I would have found it easier than I did, but by that time I had grown nervous since my confidence had sunk. But I made it up, and I felt all the better for it! We all felt much more empowered after getting off of that rock, even if it was technically an easy one.

To give the rest of the group something more their level, we headed off to another site where I finally had the chance to watch Patrick on his entire climb- he did really well! He made it look like it wasn't difficult at all!

Now we're really sore. I've never had all the muscles of my body sore at one time, but I do now! Neck, arms, shoulders, legs, back, hands- bruises and scrapes too! But it's the feel good sore, where you know you challenged your body and did something well worth it. Here's some pictures, although we don't have many of me climbing yet since those are on somebody else's camera. But in the meantime, you can take a look at some of the pictures we took!

If he wasn't climbing a wall, then it was a tree!

Patrick all harnessed up!


Repelling down that first wall after the successful climb to the top.

My attempt up the rock. Not too far yet, but this beginning part was the most difficult- not much to grab onto.

Derek leading the climb up the "easy" rock route we did.

Waiting my turn to go up the wall Derek's leading in the previous photo.

Patrick scaling his way up the more difficult rock route we visited at the end.

And he's made it to the top!


Erin (not the one I mentioned earlier in the blog- there were two on the trip) trying to follow in Patrick's footsteps. She almost made it!!!

We camped on a dude ranch near the climbing sites. Patrick's trying to keep the horse from climbing in our tent! :)

4 comments:

dad a. said...

great picture of a horse's **backside**.... now, insert rude comment [[here]] about which-is-which in the last picture(patrick/horse).... or the comment using 'future in-law'.

Atalie said...

shame on you dad! :P

dad a. said...

please, that pic begs for teasing comments of a non-flattering nature.... did you use hand chalk and wear those funky shoes to climb?... what of risk factors of camping in a horse pasture?... where's the 2-legger's potty and what about the 4-legger's potty? eeew... oh,well, to be young again.

mdw said...

rock hugger!!