5.27.2008

Canoing: Take 1



We spent Sunday in canoes with some friends from down here (Derek, Luke, Luke's sister, and Luke's girlfriend). Atalie apparently hadn't been canoing before and we thought that before we went canoing this upcoming Saturday in Michigan she could get some practice. I spent the first half of the trip steering and Atalie finished the day off in the back. It was stressful at times only because she wasn't familiar with the logistics of steering a canoe. Also, despite our best efforts to stay protected from the sun it still managed to burn the tops of Atalie's knees and my back.


On the way back it started pouring so it only makes sense that I would blow a tire. We're glad it happened before our trip to Michigan but it was still annoying as we had to get new tires yesterday and drop nearly $500.

4 comments:

aaa said...

Atalie has been canoeing before, but I know from experience that it is very easy to get rusty skills and a faded memory between adventures. Patience my dear boy – teaching the less skilled may be irritating, but is also rewarding because you can take some credit for their proficiency once it is acquired. Try to keep that in mind the next time the canoe is drifting toward the rocks – and yes, it is okay to do a little bit of controlled yelling about that time as well! I am sure it is no surprise to you, that my high heels could, and can, keep up with the best of them in the big city or on a shopping strip, but sorry to say my spikes and pumps were rarely used to climb mountains or pitch a tent -although I think I may have mowed the grass in them a few times – needless to say, the outdoors life is an area where Atalie may need the help from a land lover like yourself. I am extremely confident that you are up for the job and that she is in good hands under your tutelage! It sounds like you had a really fun weekend with the exception of the flat tire. I hope you were able to get a new one without much hassle and that you are ready for the trip to Michigan. I cannot wait – I have missed you both very much! Have I said it before? - I love the email notifications! They are just what I needed. Thanks.

Patrick said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Atalie isn't quite comfortable with all the things we do but she is willing to try them and goes at them with a good attitude. She's equipped now with all the gear (and then some) that she'll need to rough it outside with the likes of me. I'm proud of her- she's a trooper!
I had a good laugh thinking about you mowing the lawn in high heels. I suppose you could think of it as aerating the grass? I'm very sure you could keep up with the best shoppers and quite certain you'd shop me to my grave if I went along!

We're glad you like the email notifications.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to mention how nice it was seeing both of you this past weekend on the camping trip. I know that it probably took away a lot of family time that you could have spent with others, but I think that everyone was interested in hearing about how things were coming along in Missouri. It looks like both you and Atalie had the canoeing skills down well enough. I certainly miss having both of you in town and I really need to get better at checking in with a phone call every now and again. I hope you made it back home without any hitches.
~M.Kujawa

Atalie said...

Thanks Mike! We are really glad we got to see you and everybody else too. It already felt like a long time, let alone if we had waited longer to see everyone. Thanks for planning the trip!