9.07.2012

San Francisco Color Run


There was a Color Run in Grand Rapids on August 5 and it takes place in various locations around the country. But in case you haven't heard of it (like I hadn't beforehand), maybe this will give you an idea of what it's like:


BEFORE
 




AFTER 



The color run is a "just for fun" non-timed 5K where a different color food-grade powder is thrown on the participants at each of 5 interspersed spots along the route. The only rule is you have to wear a white shirt! Part of the registration cost goes toward a non-profit group or initiative in the community hosting the run.

My coworker, Jennifer (pictured above), had paid the registration costs for her and a friend to participate in the July 14 run in the parking lot at San Franciso's Candlestick Park (where the 49ers used to play). However, Jennifer's friend had a family medical situation going on and decided she wouldn't be able to attend; so, Jennifer asked me if I'd like to go to keep the registration from going to waste. It totally sounded up my alley, and Patrick had an engagement that morning anyway, giving me the perfect opportunity to have a 24-hours girls' adventure!

We went up Friday night after work (splurging along the way on a decadent dinner/dessert at BJ's Brewhouse) to stay with Jennifer's aunt and uncle who live nearby since the race was in the morning. After the race we originally thought we'd get good & clean for the car ride, but decided it would be fun to surprise our husbands with our decorative looks. :) Jennifer's aunt & uncle took us out to eat before our departure, so we attracted some curious stares. Looking at the following pictures, it's no wonder why!


Here is one of the stations- you can see how the volunteer used a condiment bottle to spray the powder on the passers-by (they refilled from the adjacent barrels). No doubt our lungs were loving us that day, considering the color clouds they created.


 
That's me jogging on the left. The volunteer on the right looked like a smurf! The color settled from the air would pool on the ground so I did a couple "snow" angels and loads of people were picking it up to smear/throw it.


Post race- I look like a rainbow! :)


After the race, we could get free mini-slurpees/juice/etc. at vendor booths, then we all gathered around a stage where it felt like a big rave. A DJ on stage played bumpin' music and pulled people up for a break-dancing competition and prizes (such as "who has the coolest colored beard" award, etc.). They should think about doing this at night- it would be a totally fun dance party!


 
Each registrant was given a packet of color to use at any point during the race. I saved mine for the end, at which point they threw more out into the crowd for people to open and scatter. It was one giant color binge! (Good thing I bought waterproof disposable cameras for us to use during the whole event. Then Jennifer snapped some photos with her iphone afterward.)


 
After the crowd cleared out, you can see the collateral damage- the sidewalk is covered, and so am I!


I wore a white t-shirt to the race which I then topped with the Color Run shirt handed out. The color bled through so much that it left ghost letters silhouetted on my undershirt.


I look like I could be related to Neelix on Star Trek: Voyager. Until my sleeve recedes to show the untouched flesh!


The difference is so stark that it looked like I had tights on when I removed my shoes! lol :)


My shower that night took considerably longer than normal! hehe. I tried to use vinegar to "freeze" the color on my shirts, but a lot of the defining splatters and streaks muddled and rinsed out leaving my shirt a purple tinge. Not nearly as cool as it was in the photos above, but still a nice memento of the experience!

2 comments:

dad a. said...

Glad you had fun. But, you can keep that kind of fun. Not for me.

aaa said...

I love that picture where you are bending down by the ground.