9.18.2012

Odds & Ends Outside of Merced

In followup to the last blog, here are some random bits from excursions outside of town that we wanted to share:


 On August 11, Patrick and I visited Nelder Grove near Oakhurst. We wanted to get a few medium-length hikes in (this was a 10 mile/5-hour day hike) to help prepare him for his long Labor Day weekend trek in Yosemite. The scenery consisted of a well established path/road with occasional hills, so it was pleasant but didn't yield a lot of unique photos. We did, however, think it might be amusing to show you the size of a Sequoia cone (in Patrick's hand) in relation to the size of the tree it grows into (behind him), whereas a sugar pine has cones the size of his shin.

It's dry out here anyway, but with water levels particularly low this year the dust is bound to be bad. There were places on the path it felt like I was walking on a cloud because the top layer of road was so thick of lofty dust. All the splattered fauna along the side of the road makes the photograph appear as if it is sepia-toned.

To further illustrate my above point, Patrick pulled on a sapling and let it spring back to fling off all its dust coating. Notice the difference from the sapling on the right (it's camouflaged, but you'll find it next to the sign post).

Patrick has spent a lot of time in the Tahoe area since his job responsibilities have grown to include implementation of the equipment that is kicking off the American River Project. But he still maintains the equipment for his other project too- here he is in action, cleaning a solar panel at a site in the Sierra National  Forest. His tasks can actually require a lot of creativity. He informed me that the only way to clean it with what he had out there was to use a survey rod with a towel bundled up and attached by zip tie at the end.


Free range cattle occupy some of the forest areas Patrick works in, so every now and then you'll see one emerge. I find it so out-of-place in an absolutely thrilling sort of way!


 
Some of you may have seen this photo on Facebook already. Patrick posted it from the ballpark where we watched the Fresno Grizzlies game and partook in the Taco Truck Showdown on August 24. $2 tickets were redeemable at any of the twelve popular taco trucks in attendance, and guests could vote for their favorite vendor. Part of Patrick's meal included a duck taco, and mine included a Korean BBQ pork. I'm bummed that the eggplant tacos were all out by the time I got in line for one, but maybe next year!
We went with Patrick's coworker Joey, and friends Matt & Jenny who brought their adorable young daughter. Matt said at the last game they went to she had expressed interest in going to the area where Parker (the Grizzlies mascot) hoses down the nosebleed section of park. I decided to join in on the fun, but the three of us didn't want to get too wet, so you'll see us in the upper right corner, slightly removed from the action.
 
 

Like any ballpark, there are people in the stands who walk around to sell bottled water and junk food. However, I was tickled to find in our part of the country, alongside cotton candy is the more regionally specific choice of churros. Well, I just had to get one in the spirit of things and I can say with confidence that I'd get one again as it was quite delicious!


As you can probably tell, we've been pretty busy, which is one reason why we've been bad about keeping up on the blog over the summer, and it's also the reason for so many retroactive and upcoming posts! Patrick has been on the road a lot for his job, which is why you've been hearing so much from me lately, but we'll get him on here again soon. :)

3 comments:

dad a. said...

You should have blurred that cow picture and claimed you saw a cloven-hooved yetti. Or blurred the Patrick pic and claim you spotted a clothed sasquatch. Or of the two of you and said you witnessed a bifoot couple with a particular palate.

dad a. said...

... correction : meant to write a bigfoot couple - - with a churro and, I guess, bifoot, too.

aaa said...

We never even made it to a ball game this summmer - I don't think. The food looked good.