A lot of Thursday's scenery was flat farmland to begin with, as we crossed the border from Kansas to Colorado.

(Holding the camera crooked makes it look like we were on a hill though!)
Unfortunately, I missed the state sign on the interstate, so a little old lady at the Welcome Center rest stop took our picture in the lobby, and we recorded in a guest book where we were driving from.


Part of the reason the truck was stressful to drive was the alignment was off. We have to cock the wheel nearly 45 degrees to the left to keep it straight! Because of this (and strong gusts of wind), we struggled with hugging or straddling the line, but luckily it was on the side bordering the shoulder. Oh- and my GPS battery went dead our first day of driving because all three cigarette lighters, provided "for your convenience" according to the U-haul dash sticker, do not work.

When Patrick & I visited Courtney in Fort Leonardwood, we joked about the restaurant next to our hotel, since it's name was simply "Restaurant." Looks like there's more than one! hehe!

It was exciting to see the silhouette of the mountains grow closer & clearer as we approached Denver! However, Aurora (just outside of Denver) was our destination. We were delayed meeting up with Patrick's parents for a bit because Google & Garmin both had the address of the hotel wrong!

Patrick's parents were visiting friends who live here (which is why they are able to drive the rest of the way to CA with us), so the 6 of us went out to dinner at Ted's Montana Grill. Patrick & I split the super delicious Red Rock bison burger with jalapenos, fried onions, Z-sauce & Monterrey cheese. Mmmmm. There was also free bowls of sliced cucumbers seasoned with garlic salt on the table. At the end of the meal, I used a slice to support a candle I had been carrying around in my purse for Patrick's birthday (notice it's bent! haha!). I found it when I was cleaning our cupboards and thought I'd put it to good use! We all sang to him & made him wish on it. Everyone thought I was a little crazy, but in a good way. :)

We returned to the hotel afterward, to relax and take care of a few things. Luckily the land-line phone in the bathroom makes it easy to multitask. Haha!
Tune in for more later! Hope you all have a great weekend! :)
5 comments:
Are you guys blogging this as you travel?! Looks like an exciting start to this new chapter in your lives. -Megan
thanks for the updates! nice pickle cake :) xo sal
enjoy the looking at the mountains now,,,,,,,, once you're driving in them with all your stuff, you probably won't be loving them
Everyone should have a landline next to the toilet. Just think how much could be accomplished!
the phone in the bathroom is for when mother nature calls
Post a Comment