This weekend we went down to Arkansas to go for a short backpacking trip. We've wanted to go to down to Arkansas to check out the autumn colors but have been unable to. Saturday I went on a field trip to a cave with a class and a fellow student, also named Pat, and his girlfriend Jackie suggested that Pat and I just stay in AR and have Atalie and Jackie pick us up on the way further south to Devil's Den State Park just west of Fayetteville. We found a park where we could go for a short hike and camp.
We got there just before sunset and hiked for a couple hours in the dark and got lost a few times. The trail wasn't always easy to follow, especially in the dark, because it wasn't marked very well and by the fact that leaves were covering the trail, making it hard to discern where the trail was. We missed a turn in the dark and had to spread out and look for a marker, which took a half hour. It turns out the trail was blocked by a fallen tree. Go figure. We hiked to the top of the bluff and set up camp.
It was a lot of fun and finally gave us a chance to try out our hiking gear that we got last year.

Us following a chilly night's sleep, getting ready to hike back to the car.

Pat, Jackie and Barley (their new puppy)

Barley guarding the backpacks.

Getting ready to head home.
3 comments:
Hiking in the dark sounds dangerous! But then again, just plain ole hiking sounds dangerous to me so perhaps I am not a good measure of the risk factor. Nevertheless, I am glad that you made it home safe and sound and that you had a good time.
okay, next time there are two or more people with the same name in a story, you have to add a last initial or something. ...from your pictures, it looks like there were only pine green and brown for your color tour. but, i guess if you are hiking in the dark, you just imagine all the colors you want. and, i suppose those "tonic" waters and "medicinal" herbs you college people are so fond of, make for some interesting color combinations as well.
I'm glad we made it back safe too! :) Trust me, I'm almost sickeningly careful, which I suppose is what a mom likes to hear.
And I did try to think about what the colors on the trees would have looked like, but that was just regular imagination, Dad! :)
Post a Comment