10.14.2008

Conference in Austin and a Dr.?

Last week Wednesday I headed down to Austin to attend the Binghamton Geomorphology Symposium (conference). I went on a field trip all day Thursday then the conference for Friday and Saturday. The group of us met Sally for dinner at Trudy's Thursday night (good food!) and then I went out to dinner with her, Paul, and Kathleen on Friday. It was nice to catch up with her since we don't talk much (despite being directly related).

This was an international conference with lecturers from Spain, Australia, the UK, Japan, Germany, Venezuela, and South Africa. The conference consisted of a LOT of sitting and listening to PhDs stroke their egos. Some of the talks were ok, but most were rather boring (i.e. not something I was terribly interested in). I presented a poster on Friday afternoon as part of Graduate student poster competition. I didn't have a ton of confidence in my poster so I wasn't expecting anything. It turns out I was wrong! The judges couldn't decide on who had the better poster so they awarded another student and myself first place! It comes with a reward too: $200.

I guess winning a poster competition at Binghamton is rather prestigious as I was told by many of the people there that it is resume material. Some even suggested that I should apply to PhD programs. I never thought I would try for a PhD but now that I'm getting this encouragement I'm rethinking. I like doing research and don't really know what I want to do once I graduate in a year so it's possible that this is where I belong. Anyway, Atalie says she's in if I want to do it. If I did want to get a PhD I would probably try to get into U Wisc.-Madison, so I'd at least be sort of closer to home.

"Dr. Patrick Womble" sounds so weird!

5 comments:

aaa said...

I think it sounds perfect. Go for it if there is a way.

Atalie said...

I agree with mom- sounds good. But only if you want to do it! Patrick Womble w/o the "Dr." in front is good too. :)

mdw said...

Congrats Doc! Ok, probably a bit premature (by about 7 years?) to call you that. $200=reward=nice dinner & flick with patient, supportive Atalie. Enjoy!! Also, probably a good time to stay in school!

dad a. said...

yah, yah, yah - you could stay in school and all that blah, blah, blah -- OR, here's an idea : get a JOB and PAY into social security so that I (dad a.) have something to retire on. unless the thought is that, after school, you earn much more, then pay in much,much more, for my retirement of course. ... yes, that could work.

mdw said...

I imagine that there are probably not too many jobs to go around at this moment in time. With the economy being what it is...
Social Security? What's that? By the time the Boomers get through there's gonna be nothing left!