Even though it was only a four day week, I felt so ready for the weekend. Maybe it was being sad from the return to regular life after a great Labor Day holiday w/ my beloved, that I was catching up on sleep after waking up at 3:45 on Tuesday to catch my flight back to Austin, or having a busy work week, but whatever it was, I felt ready to leave the office at about 2:00 on Friday, making the remaining 3.5 hours I was there rather difficult.
Friday night was fun, having met up w/ the posse (myself, Patrick's sister Sally who I live with, a family friend of the Wombles named Becki, and a couple- Paul and Kathleen) to celebrate Paul's birthday. After a bottle of wine Sally received in France, and some fruit and cheese for appetizers, we all headed for one of the art museums here for an event held by a networking club. The exhibit was a little weird, but the permanent pieces were quite interesting- gorgeous oil paintings from pre-Victorian era, plasters from the original stone statues of Greek gods and goddesses, and some unusual sculptures and gadgets.
Afterward we went to a ritzy new Italian restaurant with delicious, and kinda fancy food. We arrived just before it closed, so not being very busy, the owner came out and chatted w/ us, and also pulled out some of tomorrow's food to make a dish that Kathleen had wanted but was told earlier had run out for the day. We thought all of that was quite cool. Afterward, we returned to Sally's for the final part of the celebration- birthday cake in the form of coconut cream pie.
At this point, we had a couple of extra guests though, as Sally and I went over to the neighbors' house to pick up their two golden labs to dog-sit for the weekend. They are both very friendly dogs, but Cayman is fully grown and wanted to climb on everybody, and Casey- the puppy- is hyper and decided just to jump on everybody. Casey christened Sally's brand new carpet w/a little "carpet apple" and I caught Cayman just in time reaching for the pie with her face and paws up on the cupboard. As Sally says, they are high maintenance.
Much of Saturday was spent lounging, taking care of the dogs, and hanging out w/ Paul and Kathleen again. We went to the movie theatre to see "Shoot 'em Up" and I think we are all a bit scarred for life. Any of my family reading this: DON'T WATCH IT. The rest of you: see it if you have a sick desire for creative forms of violence and disturbing filler scenes with the occasional irony or corny/clever humor thrown in. And if you're not sure- ask me more information because I am opinionated on the matter.
Dinner at Potbelly's and dessert at Kathleen's lightened me up a bit though, so now I'm back to gleaning the rest of the weekend. I received a video tape from my sisters in the mail today, and I enjoyed watching that much more than Shoot 'em Up- honestly, I think I spent more time laughing than I spent thinking about how retarded they are... but probably not that much more time. :) It was like SNL's cast did a rendition of what my family has been up to over the summer, if that gives you any idea of the film's content. I plan on keeping it forever! :D
Well, that's pretty much what I've been up to- it's been a pretty good weekend so far. I hope you're all enjoying yours too!
3 comments:
SNL? - I think you mean "Dumb and Dumber" don't you?....and since I am the mother, I am not certain why I even feel compelled to admit that, except to say, that YOU, Atalie, have always made your little sisters feel like stars even when their behavior is less than...shall we say, acceptable. SO, I can only blame you, Dear One; you were always their best audience.
I will say that your sisters did spend considerable time putting that awful video together, but really, to tell the truth, there was not much acting involved, nor does it portray anything other than our normal daily lives. Obviously, for those who don't know us - "Normal" is a very subjective term and clearly cannot be defined by Webster’s. Nevertheless, we do love each other in true SNL fashion (without the drugs, except when necessary in most of our cases), and it is that love that causes Atalie to laugh at sisters that others can only wonder if appropriate testing was done at birth.
thanks-a-lot, at. you prompt your sisters to act the way they do, then move a zillion miles away. leaving mom and i to fend for ourselves.
Haha- you guys should have been commentators/narrators for the video. That would have made it even funnier!
Post a Comment