Due to Sally's good luck, I was able to go to the popular 3-day music fest that took place this past weekend! Sally had bought two tickets ages ago and invited a friend to visit and attend, but the tickets are expensive, sold out pretty much instantaneously, and originally I wasn't going to be here this long, so I sadly accepted that I would not be able to join them. However, the day before the festivities began, Sally casually told me, "Oh yeah- I won an extra 3 day pass to ACL."
Yah-hooo! :)
Unfortunately I didn't go on Friday because I had to work (although my coworkers saw it fit to leave early and not tell me they were going) and I was feeling worn out after the long work week. So while it was probably good for me to take it easy that night, I missed out on some of the best performers that were playing at ACL: Joss Stone, Kaiser Chiefs, Spoon, The Killers, and Bjork, for example.
Aside of a rocky start (I temporarily messed something up w/ my camera card and got no pictures my first day, and the ACL store was totally out of my size in my first couple choice t-shirts) Saturday and Sunday were a lot of fun, and I'm sure the extra rest Friday night was needed. I was out in the heat and sun for about 8+ hours each day, and you're constant standing or walking. We were definitely sore and tired after the weekend, but it was still time well spent. Of the people I saw, some of my favorites were: Ryan Shaw (what a voice, and just a lot of fun to be in the audience!), Young Love (cool music, even if it felt like being at a high school field trip when I was in the crowd), Blue October (some really awesome loud, heavier rock songs!), and the Little Ones (fun music and the group was just so happy and passionate).
I'm super grateful that I was able to go, although it's back to a regular workweek for me (I worked from 8:30 to 9:45 today- yikes). I've only got about 12 days left now in Austin though, and only 1.5 weekends, so hopefully I'll get some more fun and unique things in during the rest of my stay!
5 comments:
8:30 to 9:45 -- does that mean you worked an hour and fifteen minutes? --- oooh! you worked over thirteen hours. that's too long. ten is more than enough. twelve is definitely too many. above that stinks-- even if the paycheck doesn't. hope the last of your stay there is good.
I know you are having a lot of fun, but we will be happy to have you at home for a while. Although, I am afraid Grand Rapids will seem way dull after all the social activity you've had this summer along with the quality musical concert experiences. BUT don't worry, we'll sing for you if it will make your visit here compare on any level to your weekend at Austin City Limits. You could even use the same acronym - ACL- "Albin Crooning Lunatics."
If that is not good enough, the only other social offering I have for you is a night spent with me, and several hundred other close friends whom I don't know, at the inaugural opening ceremony for the brand new art museum in downtown GR on October 4th. That's the best I can do in the social arena; nevertheless it is entertainment that I value and look forward to, and actually feel special to be invited to, so let me know if you are interested in sharing a night with me in the "Grand Rapids City Limits" on October 4.
Don't work too hard - but if you do, make sure you save some money from that big pay check to come home at Christmas
By the way, where has Patrick been? His last posting was on September 11th - do you think the virus got him too? It was the last thing he spoke of before the blog silence began.
Sorry, I forgot to sign out in my concern over the computer virus and Patrick's silence.
Haha- Albin Crooning Lunatics? :D
The art museum thing sounds great! I'm sure it'll more than compare to Austin's ventures!
Post a Comment